Renting out your property can be a confusing and daunting process. But don’t stress, we’re here to help! Whether you’re a first-time landlord with one property or you have a whole portfolio, we can provide a personal service for you.

Our team of qualified experts will help to ensure your investment is taken seriously whilst also keeping your tenants happy. We will work together with you to maximise the rent you receive on a property and minimise the void period between tenants.

Our Landlord service is divided into four options Landlord Service Options

Increased return on investment

For most landlords, your property is the largest, and most important asset you own. Our promise is to make sure that the rent you have incoming is consistent and lucrative and that any void time between tenants is as short as possible.

Being a landlord comes with its own unique set of challenges and risks. You need to ensure your letting agent can manage your property during any unexpected loss of rental income. With Mather Marshall you added peace of mind that, should something go wrong, you won’t be left counting the cost

Exceptional standards

We’ve been in the property business for a long time, so we know what we’re doing. We believe that the key to a perfectly managed property is the relationship between letting agents and landlords. Our promise includes:

  • Good tenants
  • Management flexibility options
  • Personalised service

Comprehensive marketing

One of the most important elements of property letting is finding the right tenants. We know the best places to look to find tenants suited to your property. After, we’ll organise all the referencing and paperwork to keep your investment safe and compliant with the law.

Why should I use a letting agent?

Using a letting agent means that as a landlord you don’t need to sacrifice your personal time and take on the associated responsibility for letting out and managing the property. When looking for an agent consider factors such as how they will market the property, how they will conduct viewings, their high street presence and their available pool of quality tenants. You also need to consider what fee you are paying for you property to be managed. The lowest does not always mean the cheapest. Make sure there are no hidden extra cost. It has been known for agents to have a number of additional charges in excess of their management fee and/or have hidden charges i.e.  Adding a percentage on top of contractors payments charged to Landlords.

I don’t have the time to manage my property, can you help?

No matter how much or little involvement a landlord may want in managing or letting out their property, we have the right level of support available.

How will the rental value of my property be determined?

We will complete a full and free evaluation of your property, taking into account how it compares to other properties in the surrounding area as well as considering local rental market conditions. We can then give you an estimate of its monthly rental value. It is important to remember that if a property’s rental value is over-estimated it may result in an extended empty period (void). Get in touch or book online to get a free rental valuation for your property.

Who will conduct the viewings and do I need to be present?

There is no need for you to be present at viewings as long as you have already given us a set of keys beforehand. One of our lettings team will show prospective tenants through the property and will be on hand to answer any questions. We will then provide you with feedback afterwards.

How do I know I am getting a good tenant?

Finding a quality tenant is vital, as part of the tenant application process we:

  • Obtain credit references
  • Check employer and current landlord references
  • Conduct identity and residency checks
  • Obtain guarantors where necessary
  • For non-UK applicants we check that they have the ‘right to rent’

Do I need to change my insurance policy when I let out a property?

In many instances, standard home insurance cover will not for a range of scenarios that can arise when letting out a property. It is therefore a good idea to have specialised landlord insurance to cover your property. You will need to insure the property itself and any contents, such as furniture and appliances that you provide. Tenants are responsible for insuring their own contents left in the property

If I want to let my property do I let the mortgage lender know?

Yes. You will need to obtain permission from your mortgage lender to let out your property. If they impose any special conditions you will need to let us know. If the property has a buy-to-let mortgage then permission has already been granted.

What is an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and do I need one?

It is a legal requirement for all rental properties in the UK to have an EPC. It measures the energy efficiency of a property using a scale of A-G. The certificate itself is valid for 10 years and can be used for multiple tenancies within that time. Your local office can advise on how to obtain the certificate through a qualified Domestic Energy Assessor.

What happens with the tenant’s deposit once it has been received?

It is a legal requirement that the deposit is registered with one of the three Government approved deposit schemes when the tenant moves in. We use the D.P.S Deposit Protection Service.

What is an inventory and how does it work?

An inventory is a record of the condition of the property and its contents. Some inventories are supported with photos and / or video inventories. Once it is completed it needs to be checked and signed by all parties when the tenant moves in.

If I let out a property do I have to provide the tenant with furniture?

No, it is your choice whether to let out your property unfurnished, part furnished or fully furnished. Any soft furnishings left must comply with furniture and fire regulations. You must supply a Gas Safety Certificate is applicable and Fire Alarms on all floors. You must also ensure that the property provides a safe place to reside and an appropriate risk assessment has been conducted.

Who has to pay the council tax at the property?

A tenant is normally responsible for paying the council tax during the tenancy (as long as this is stated in the Tenancy Agreement). However when the property is vacant the responsibility falls back on the landlord or homeowner.

Who is responsible for the TV licence?

If the landlord provides a television then they are expected to pay for the TV licence. The responsibility on who has to pay for the licence is usually stated in the Tenancy Agreement.

Who organises repairs and maintenance work?

If you are on our fully managed service, we take full responsibility liaising with the tenant and coordinating any necessary works approved by the landlord. We have an extensive network of trusted local tradesmen and contractors who are regularly used to complete repairs or vital maintenance work when needed. We do not add any additional charges onto a contractors invoices.

What happens if my tenant fails to pay the rent?

We will chase all late and unpaid rent if your property is either on the fully managed service. We can assist landlords with choosing the appropriate course of action should the tenant not clear the debt or if they fail to vacate the premises. Our Insurance Policy on all our managed properties should ensure you will continue to receive your rental payments and our legal team will complete the relevant work to evict a tenant if required.




Stevenage Office

Knebworth Office

Hatfield Offfice

Contact Us

Contact Info

Mather Mashall Estate Agents 

Stevenage Office:- 01438 748007
Knebworth Office:-01438 817731
Hatfield Office        :-01707270777